Working with us
Bank Healthcare Assistant
- Band 2/3
- Flexible working - Bank
- Royal Preston Hospital and Chorley and South Ribble Hospital
- Preston and Chorley
- £9.20 - £10.80 Per Hour
- 31/01/2022 23:59
- Are you looking for a motivating and rewarding career?
- Do you enjoy helping others and thrive on a challenge?
- Are you reliable, self motivated and enjoy working as part of a team?
We are recruiting Bank Healthcare Assistants who can work across both Royal Preston Hospital and Chorley and South Ribble District Hospital. As a Health Care Assistant you will support the qualified nursing staff in providing excellent care with compassion for all our patients.
If you answered yes to the above, then we would really like you to apply for our Bank HCA role.
Main duties of the job
As a Bank Healthcare Assistant, you will be responsible for providing a range of personalised care for patients under the guidance and supervision of the team leader/nurse in charge including: assisting patients with personal hygiene, toileting, use of continence aids, catheter care, measuring patient output, moving and handling, use of mobility appliances, correct patient positioning, ensuring patient safety, taking specimens and observing patients for changes in condition
You will support the productive operation of the clinical environment by undertaking a range of non-clinical activities which contribute to the maintenance of a safe and clean environment.
You will act at all times in a manner that upholds the Trust values working as part of the ward / Unit team to ensure that patients and relatives receive excellent care with compassion.
If you are shortlisted for interview, this is on the understand that you have the essential qualifications for the role and you must provide original certificates for both Maths & English, as detailed within the person specification. If you know you are unable to provide proof of your qualifications we recommend that you contact your awarding exam board, previous education provider or as a last resort re-take your qualifications. These can be provided by your local college for free or you can complete them online via learn direct https://www.learndirect.com/category/english-maths. For further advice on obtaining qualifications you can also contact Inspira for free support https://www.inspira.org.uk/. Please note an unconditional offer can’t made until all essential qualifications are confirmed.
Is it also essential that you have at least 150 hours of experience within the last three months within an acute healthcare environment (such as on a Hospital ward or in a care home). If you do not have this experience then we will be unable to continue with your application.
Working for our organisation
We recognise you are invaluable to us and in return for your hard work and professionalism to help us deliver high levels of care we can offer you the following:
- Weekly Pay
- Self booking in place via app or pc which allows you to book shifts at your own leisure 24/7. Choose the shifts you want that fit with your work life balance.
- Flexible working opportunities which allows you to work shifts around your availability in a variety of areas to develop your knowledge and experience
We recognise our staff are our biggest asset, investing in them is key to ensure LTH remains a rewarding place to work
Our values are in everything we do;
- Being Caring and Compassionate
- Recognising Individuality
- Seeking to Involve
- Building Team Spirit
- Taking Personal Responsibility
The Trust is committed to personal and professional development and to providing opportunities for education and training for all our staff. Our clinical divisions are regularly holding free CPD events throughout the year which would be accessible to you.
We constantly strive for excellence, delivering high quality patient focused care. Our nursing teams are compassionate and empathetic who take pride in the high quality care they Paid induction, mandatory updates and ongoing training/CPD. Mandatory Training available as elearning content allowing you to complete from home and at your own leisure.
Other incentives we offer to our bank workers are:
- Paid annual leave
- Access to the NHS Pension Scheme
- Access to Counselling and support via our occupation health services which includes access to our Mindfulness Sessions to support your health & well-being
- Opportunities to apply for permanent full or part-time positions
- Access to on-site restaurants which on production of your ID badge entitles you to discounts
- As a bank worker we offer a wide-ranging list of benefits you can access which can be found at, http://www.lancsteachinghospitals.nhs.uk/staff-benefits
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Provide good quality personalised care in accordance with agreed local and national standards.
- Performs basic nursing care to a good quality standard which meets the individual needs of patients
- Demonstrates compassion by recognising and responding to individual needs in a warm, thoughtful, sensitive and helpful way
- Maintains patient privacy, dignity and respect at all times
- Proactively engages with patients, relatives and carers to seek their views, and gain co-operation and agreement.
- Able to assess patients through look, listen, feel.
- Reports or escalates concerns about patient condition in a timely manner
- Identifies and reports patients needs not included in the care plan
- Correct use, maintenance and cleaning of pressure relieving devices
- Provide patients with appropriate activities and stimulation to promote well being and recovery in particular when providing enhanced care
Take samples from patients for testing or dispatching eg: Urine, sputum, faeces, MRSA swabs
Assist patients to meet nutritional needs in line with their individual care plan.
Communicate all relevant information to the Registered Nurses in a professional and timely way.
Actively try to resolve issues and complaints at local level and then report the outcome to line manager.
- GCSE Maths & English grade C or above OR Functional/Key Skills level 2 numeracy and literacy
- • Level 2 QCF diploma (Qualification Credit Framework) in healthcare / NVQ level 2 (Essential for Band 3 role)
- • Recent & relevant health care experience in an acute hospital setting (at least 150hrs in last 3 months)
- • Understanding of concept and application of confidentiality
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Amie Lowton
- Job title
- Recruitment Officer
- Email address