Working with us
Consultant Physician in Acute Medicine
NHS Medical & Dental: Consultant
- Acute Medicine
- NHS Medical & Dental: Consultant
- Full time - 10 sessions per week (10 PA's per week)
- Royal Preston & Chorley Hospitals
- Preston and Chorley
- £82,096 to £110,683 pa
- 03/11/2021 23:59
An exciting opportunity has arisen for the post of Acute Consultant in the newly developed Same Day Emergency Care Unit at Royal Preston Hospital. The new unit has been developed after £1.9 million of investment which has been utilised to design and build a full new clinical area which the service will operate within. There has also been a further £2.5 million of workforce investment made which will create a fully established Same Day Emergency Care team.
This is an exciting new venture for at Royal Preston and we are now looking to build a substantial team that share the vision we have. The individuals must be enthusiastic and motivated, who has excellent leadership skills and the ability to problem solve, effectively communicate with patients and all members of the multi-disciplinary team. The team will be extremely fast paced and proactive.
Main duties of the job
Expansion of Acute Medicine is very high on the Trust’s agenda to ensure delivery of effective and timely, seamless care to our patients.
The post holders will: -
- Provide direct input into the care of patients referred to Acute Medicine from GPs and the Emergency Department.
- Contribute to multidisciplinary teams and lead the co-ordination of patient care.
- Assume a continuous commitment for the care of patients, even if employed less than full-time and ensure that adequate arrangements are made for leave and off-duty periods.
- Promote high professional standards of clinical care for patients, both through direct patient care and by the maintenance of continuing professional development.
- Develop close links with General Practitioners operating in the area.
- Exercise the freedom to develop the services to reflect perceived priorities within available resources.
The post holder would be expected to work on acute medical units and ambulatory care unit across both sites of the trust.
Working for our organisation
Our team is our work family. At Lancashire Teaching Hospitals, you will be working as part of a collaborative, friendly and caring team of incredible people who are committed to providing excellent care with compassion. We celebrate diversity, encourage everyone to contribute, and you are valued for who you are.
Our mission is to provide excellent care with compassion.
As a department, our desire to provide an excellent standard of care at RPH and CDH has fostered a great working relationship between our nursing and medical staff.
The job entails working in predominantly our medical assessment units and ambulatory areas with significant in reaching to our accident and emergency department.
Our acute medicine unit is an area for education and learning with medical students, advanced care practitioners, nursing staff, physician associates and other allied health care advisors working, learning and collaborating on a daily basis.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Please refer to the attached Job description, Person specification and Specialty/ Trust Brochure for further details on:
- What we can offer
- Job Plan/On-call Requirements
- The Team
The applicant must have demonstrable skills in listening, reading, writing and speaking in English that enable effective communication about medical topics with patients and colleagues, as set out in the GMCs Good Medical Practice (2013). Non-UK applicants must possess the IELTS/OET exam before obtaining a GMC licence to practice.
If you are successful in obtaining a position with our Trust which involves working with patients, you will be required to undertake a Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Check. As a registered body with the DBS, Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust will conduct the administration of this application on your behalf and the cost will be recovered from your salary, either as a one-off payment or over 3 months. Currently the charges made by the Disclosure and Barring Service for an Enhanced DBS check is £48.20.
Successful applicants will be contacted by e-mail. Please ensure that email addresses are provided for your referees wherever possible.
As we often have many applicants for jobs at LTHTR, we regret that we will only be able to contact those applicants who are short-listed for interview. Therefore, if you have not heard from us within 2 weeks of the closing date, then please assume that you have not been short-listed for interview on this occasion.
The NHS Constitution outlines what staff working in the NHS can expect from their employer and what is expected of you. Lancashire Teaching Hospitals is committed to the NHS Values and Pledges as expressed in the Constitution.
Lancashire Teaching Hospitals is committed to equality of opportunity and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. An interview is guaranteed to any applicant with a disability who meets the essential criteria of the person specification.
If you have any difficulty applying on line, please contact the Medical Workforce Team
NO UNSOLICITED ADVERTISING COMPANY APPROACHES.
- Full GMC Registration.
- MBBS or equivalent
- CCT in Acute Medicine / CCT in General (Internal) Medicine - Must be entered on the Specialist Register (or entry within 6 months)
- Specialty certificate examination in Acute Medicine (MRCP Acute Medicine)
- Wide experience in Acute Medicine and General Medicine
- Experience in an Acute Medicine Unit
- Experience in medical education
Aptitudes and skills
- Commitment to working as part of a multi-professional clinical team.
- Knowledge of audit
- Computer literate
- Research skills
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Dr Munish Batra
- Job title
- Consultant and Clinical Director in Acute Medicine
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Additional information
Informal enquiries and requests to visit the Hospitals are welcome and should be made, following shortlisting, with Dr. Geraldine Skailes, Medical Director and Karen Partington, Chief Executive (01772) 522692.