Locum Consultant in Respiratory Medicine
NHS Medical & Dental: Consultant
- Respiratory Medicine
- NHS Medical & Dental: Consultant
- Fixed term: 12 months
- Full time - 10 sessions per week
- Royal Preston Hospital
- £82,096 to £110,683 pa
- 29/12/2021 23:59
We are delighted to offer this exciting opportunity to become a part of our Lancashire Chest Centre regional team. We are committed to the provision of first class Respiratory care and would encourage you to take the opportunity to join us.
The Lancashire Chest Centre provides regional tertiary Respiratory services for Lancashire and South Cumbria.
This post is for 1 year, in the first instance with a view to developing substantive posts. You will join our team of 11 chest consultants and the extensive multidisciplinary teams to provide and enhance our service delivery, including:
- 7 day inpatient care
- Pathway design and implementation of our brand new purpose built Respiratory Assessment Unit area and Acute Respiratory
- Specialist Respiratory Care including TB, Lung Cancer, Sleep, Ventilation, COPD, Pleural Disease, ILD, Specialist Asthma and Cystic Fibrosis.
- Tertiary Centre for NIV, Complex Asthma and ILD
- General Thoracic clinics
- Interventional pulmonology lists on both sites
Main duties of the job
The post holder will:-
- Specifically adopt, in conjunction with colleagues, an active role in the planning, development and delivery of the Respiratory Service for the Directorate.
- Provide direct input to patient care both inpatients and outpatients; contribute to multi-disciplinary teams and lead the co-ordination of care for patients within Lancashire Teaching Hospitals.
- Participate in the Consultant on-call rota at LTHTR with prospective cover.
- Assume a continuous commitment for the care of patients, even if employed less than full-time and ensure that adequate arrangements are made for leave and off duty periods.
- Promote high professional standards of clinical care for patients, both through direct patient care and by the maintenance of continuing professional development.
- Develop close links with General Practitioners operating in the area.
- Exercise the freedom to develop specialist elements of the services to reflect priorities within available resources.
Working for our organisation
Our team is our work family. At Lancashire Teaching Hospitals, you will be working as part of a collaborative, friendly and caring team of incredible people who are committed to providing excellent care with compassion. We celebrate diversity, encourage everyone to contribute, and you are valued for who you are.
Our mission is to provide excellent care with compassion.
As a department, our desire to provide an excellent standard of care at RPH and CDH has fostered a great working relationship between our nursing and medical staff.
You will receive the full support of the Trust and the Directorate to develop specialist areas of interest in line with Directorate business plans and the development of services generally within the Trust.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Please refer to the attached Job description, Person specification and Specialty/ Trust Brochure for further details on:
- What we can offer
- Job Plan/On-call Requirements
- The Team
The applicant must have demonstrable skills in listening, reading, writing and speaking in English that enable effective communication about medical topics with patients and colleagues, as set out in the GMCs Good Medical Practice (2013). Non-UK applicants must possess the IELTS/OET exam before obtaining a GMC licence to practice.
If you are successful in obtaining a position with our Trust which involves working with patients, you will be required to undertake a Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Check. As a registered body with the DBS, Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust will conduct the administration of this application on your behalf and the cost will be recovered from your salary, either as a one-off payment or over 3 months. Currently the charges made by the Disclosure and Barring Service for an Enhanced DBS check is £48.20.
Successful applicants will be contacted by e-mail. Please ensure that email addresses are provided for your referees wherever possible.
As we often have many applicants for jobs at LTHTR, we regret that we will only be able to contact those applicants who are short-listed for interview. Therefore, if you have not heard from us within 2 weeks of the closing date, then please assume that you have not been short-listed for interview on this occasion.
The NHS Constitution outlines what staff working in the NHS can expect from their employer and what is expected of you. Lancashire Teaching Hospitals is committed to the NHS Values and Pledges as expressed in the Constitution.
Lancashire Teaching Hospitals is committed to equality of opportunity and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. An interview is guaranteed to any applicant with a disability who meets the essential criteria of the person specification.
If you have any difficulty applying on line, please contact the Medical Workforce Team
NO UNSOLICITED ADVERTISING COMPANY APPROACHES.
- Full GMC Registration and Licence to Practice
- MBBS or equivalent
- CCT in Respiratory and General Medicine
Experience and Skills
- Wide experience in Respiratory and General Medicine with evidence of Acute Medicine and Respiratory training.
- Recognised Specialty training programme.
- Subspecialty experience
- Evidence of commitment to audit and improving clinical practice/service development
- Evidence of Clinical Leadership
- Management course attended/certification
Research and Development
- Evidence of interest in personal development
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Aashish Vyas
- Job title
- Clinical Director - Respiratory Medicine
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01772 523474