Working with us
Plastic Consultant in Sarcoma and Lower Limb surgery
NHS Medical & Dental: Consultant
- Plastic Surgery and Burns
- NHS Medical & Dental: Consultant
- Permanent: N/A
- Full time - 10 sessions per week
- Royal Preston Hospital
- £84,559 - £114,003 Based on 10 PA's
- 09/11/2021 23:59
Applicants are invited for the post of a Consultant Plastic Surgeon on a permanent basis.
The Directorate has plans to expand its Skin Cancer service to include Moh’s Surgery. This post, we are asking for candidates with interest Sarcoma cancer and lower limb/microsurgical reconstructions.
The Plastic Surgery and Burns Facility in Preston provides a comprehensive service for the whole of Lancashire and South Cumbria covering a population of 1.7 million.
This post is subject to the National Terms and Conditions – Consultants (2003) and remuneration will be as set out in the NHS Medical and Dental pay circular. This is a full time post.
Main duties of the job
The post holder will:-
- Specifically adopt, in conjunction with colleagues, an active role in the delivery of the Plastic Surgery Service for the Directorate.
- Provide direct input to patients; contribute to multi-disciplinary teams and participate in the delivery of skin cancer, burns and hand trauma.
- Assume a continuous commitment for the care of patients, even if employed less than full-time and ensure that adequate arrangements are made for leave and off duty periods.
- Promote high professional standards of clinical care for patients, both through direct patient care and by the maintenance of continuing professional development.
- Exercise the freedom to develop specialist elements of the services to reflect perceived priorities within available resources.
Working for our organisation
The contract may be supplemented or amended by local collective agreements reached with trade unions recognised by the Trust and the rules and resolutions of the Trust Board.
A consultant is required to reside within a distance of 30 minutes or ten miles by road from their principal place of work unless an employing organisation agrees that they may reside at a greater distance.
Lancashire Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trusts (LTHTR) forms one of the major acute Trusts in the North West with all of the usual specialities on the Royal Preston site. LTHTR Cumbria in the departments of Neurology, Neurosurgery, Oncology, Plastic Surgery and Burns and Renal Medicine.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Applicants will be expected to demonstrate a commitment to improve Plastics Surgery and Burns services within Lancashire and South Cumbria. This will be in line with the 18 week referral to treatment and national cancer targets. The candidate should have a specialist interest, Sarcoma and Lower Limb reconstructions.
Applicants will be expected to have a commitment to working a 7 day working week, with this being potentially required.
Undergraduate medical student teaching commenced in 2003 and the Trust has an active and developing links with Universities of Manchester and Central Lancashire.
Central Lancashire is an attractive and historic area to live and has many facilities locally. Major sporting venues are within reach. The cities of Manchester and Liverpool are within easy reach and the city of Preston itself is vibrant and developing. There are direct and rapid rail links from Preston to London and Glasgow. Recreational facilities are many and varied, with the Lake District, Ribble Valley, Yorkshire Dales, rural Fylde and the Fylde Coast nearby.
In line with the National Terms and conditions (Consultants (2003) you and your clinical manager are required to agree a prospective Job Plan that sets out your typical schedule of activities, and your main duties and responsibilities. This job plan must be reviewed annually in line with the provisions in Schedule 3 of the Terms and Conditions.
All substantive consultants must have Specialist Registration with the GMC and hold a valid license to practice.
Should a new substantive consultant wish to claim for relocation expenses they must ensure they request this intention in writing at interview/offer stage otherwise relocation expenses will not be paid. All relocation expenses are in line with the Trust relocation policy.
Please see the Job description for details of person specification for this post.
We would be happy to answer any queries you may have regarding this post and any enquiries should be made with Mr Stuart McKirdy, Clinical Director of the Plastic Surgery Department Tel: 01772 522847 or via email: email@example.com
Informal enquiries and requests to visit the Hospitals are welcome and should be made, following shortlisting, with Dr. Geraldine Skailes, Medical Director and Karen Partington, Chief Executive (01772) 522692.
Our team is our work family. At Lancashire Teaching Hospitals, you will be working as part of a collaborative, friendly and caring team of incredible people who are committed to providing excellent care with compassion. We celebrate diversity, encourage everyone to contribute, and you are valued for who you are.
Our mission is to provide excellent care with compassion.
The applicant must have demonstrable skills in listening, reading, writing and speaking in English that enable effective communication about medical topics with patients and colleagues, as set out in the GMCs Good Medical Practice (2013). Non-UK applicants must possess the IELTS/OET exam before obtaining a GMC licence to practice.
If you are successful in obtaining a position with our Trust which involves working with patients, you will be required to undertake a Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Check. As a registered body with the DBS, Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust will conduct the administration of this application on your behalf and the cost will be recovered from your salary, either as a one-off payment or over 3 months. Currently the charges made by the Disclosure and Barring Service for an Enhanced DBS check is £48.20.
Successful applicants will be contacted by e-mail. Please ensure that email addresses are provided for your referees wherever possible.
As we often have many applicants for jobs at LTHTR, we regret that we will only be able to contact those applicants who are short-listed for interview. Therefore, if you have not heard from us within 2 weeks of the closing date, then please assume that you have not been short-listed for interview on this occasion.
The NHS Constitution outlines what staff working in the NHS can expect from their employer and what is expected of you. Lancashire Teaching Hospitals is committed to the NHS Values and Pledges as expressed in the Constitution.
Lancashire Teaching Hospitals is committed to equality of opportunity and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. An interview is guaranteed to any applicant with a disability who meets the essential criteria of the person specification.
If you have any difficulty applying on line, please contact the Medical Workforce Team
NO UNSOLICITED ADVERTISING COMPANY APPROACHES.
- Full GMC Registration and Licence to Practice
- MBBS or equivalent
- FRCS or overseas equivalent
- Entry on the Specialist Register (or entry expected within 6 months)
- FRCS (Plastic Surgery)
- Meets professional health requirements in line with GMC Standards/ Good Medical Practice
Experience & Skills
- Ability to offer opinion on and take responsibility for elective and emergency problems in Plastic Surgery, including hand trauma and burns
- Specialist Interest in trauma including lower limb reconstruction
- Experience in Microsurgical Reconstructions
- Interest in lower limb trauma
- Interest in Sarcoma cancer
- Evidence of Clinical Leadership
- Evidence of commitment to audit and improving clinical practice/service development
- Previous experience of involvement in service development
- Example(s) of effective communication skills
- Evidence of good organisation skills
- Example of working well within a multidisciplinary environment
- Car owner/driver
Research & Development
- Evidence of interest in personal development e.g. through research and/or publications
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Mr Stuart McKirdy
- Job title
- Clinical Director
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01772 522847
- Additional information