Working with us
NHS Medical & Dental: Consultant
- NHS Medical & Dental: Consultant
- Full time - 10 sessions per week
- Royal Preston Hospital
- £82,096 to £110,683 pa
- 18/11/2021 23:59
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join Lancashire Teaching Hospitals Trust in our Gastroenterology Team. It is one of the largest providers of healthcare in the area and has a complement of over 1100 beds for a local population of 390,000 and a regional population of 1.5 million.
The post holder will be part of a team of seven Gastroenterology consultants, supported by 6 Middle Grade doctors, and other junior doctors.
The Gastroenterology Service has a well-established team of clinical nurse specialists specialising in:
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease 2 posts
- Liver specialist nurses 2 posts
- Hepatitis 2 posts
- Rapid diagnostics clinic 1 post
- Nutrition nurses 8 posts including 1 nurse consultant.
- HALS 4 posts
Main duties of the job
The post holder will:
- Provide direct input to patients; contribute to multi-disciplinary teams and lead the co-ordination of care for patients within Chorley and Preston.
- Participate in the Gastroenterology Consultant on-call rota at the Chorley Hospital with additional cover during colleagues’ absence*.
- Assume a continuous commitment for the care of patients, even if employed less than full-time and ensure that adequate arrangements are made for leave and off-duty periods.
- Promote high professional standards of clinical care for patients, both through direct patient care and by the maintenance of continuing professional development.
- Develop close links with General Practitioners operating in the area.
- Exercise the freedom to develop specialist elements of the services to reflect perceived priorities within available resources.
Working for our organisation
Our team is our work family. At Lancashire Teaching Hospitals, you will be working as part of a collaborative, friendly and caring team of incredible people who are committed to providing excellent care with compassion. We celebrate diversity, encourage everyone to contribute, and you are valued for who you are.
Our mission is to provide excellent care with compassion. We will support you to achieve your personal goals and to build the career you want.
You will join a thriving and fully integrated Medicine Directorate comprising of 39 consultants. The Medical Directorate is engaged in a comprehensive program of service improvement and we will see significant changes to the way we deliver our services. The scale and the pace of these changes provide an excellent opportunity for someone wishing to develop their career and gain experience in an expanding, progressive department.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Please refer to the attached Job description, Person specification and Specialty/ Trust Brochure for further details on:
- What we can offer
- Job Plan/On-call Requirements
- The Team
Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust forms one of the major acute Trusts in the North West with a complement of over 1100 beds for a local population of 390,000 and a regional population of 1.5 million. We have all of the usual specialties on site as well as being a Tertiary Centre for Lancashire and South Cumbria in Neurosciences, Oncology, Plastic Surgery and Renal Medicine. There is extensive undergraduate medical student teaching, and the Trust has active research links with the Universities of Manchester, Lancaster and Central Lancashire.
The applicant must have demonstrable skills in listening, reading, writing and speaking in English that enable effective communication about medical topics with patients and colleagues, as set out in the GMCs Good Medical Practice (2013). Non-UK applicants must possess the IELTS/OET exam before obtaining a GMC licence to practice.
If you are successful in obtaining a position with our Trust which involves working with patients, you will be required to undertake a Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Check. As a registered body with the DBS, Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust will conduct the administration of this application on your behalf and the cost will be recovered from your salary, either as a one-off payment or over 3 months. Currently the charges made by the Disclosure and Barring Service for an Enhanced DBS check is £48.20.
Successful applicants will be contacted by e-mail. Please ensure that email addresses are provided for your referees wherever possible.
As we often have many applicants for jobs at LTHTR, we regret that we will only be able to contact those applicants who are short-listed for interview. Therefore, if you have not heard from us within 2 weeks of the closing date, then please assume that you have not been short-listed for interview on this occasion.
The NHS Constitution outlines what staff working in the NHS can expect from their employer and what is expected of you. Lancashire Teaching Hospitals is committed to the NHS Values and Pledges as expressed in the Constitution.
Lancashire Teaching Hospitals is committed to equality of opportunity and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. An interview is guaranteed to any applicant with a disability who meets the essential criteria of the person specification.
If you have any difficulty applying on line, please contact the Medical Workforce Team
Previous applicants need not apply
NO UNSOLICITED ADVERTISING COMPANY APPROACHES.
- Full GMC Registration and Licence to Practice
- MBBS or equivalent
- CCST in General Internal Medicine / Specialist Register entry within six months
- MD or PhD
- Evidence of ongoing personal / professional development.
Experience and Skills
- Recognised period of work in a specialist department treating upper and lower gastrointestinal conditions.
- JAG accredited colonoscopist.
- Ability to undertake clinical audit of work and apply findings to clinical work.
- Clinical training and experience equivalent to that required for gaining UK CCST.
- Ability to take full and independent responsibility for clinical care of patients.
- Ability to manage and lead a multi-professional team.
- IT literate
- Evidence of Clinical Leadership
- Evidence of commitment to audit and improving clinical practice/service development
Research and Development
- Evidence of interest in personal development e.g. through research and/or publications
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Dr Philip Shields
- Job title
- Consultant Gastroenterologist
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01772 522332
- Additional information
Informal enquiries and requests to visit the Hospitals are welcome and should be made, following shortlisting, with Dr. Gerry Skailes, Medical Director and Karen Partington, Chief Executive (01772) 522692.