Working with us
Senior Engineering Manager
- Band 8a
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week (Requirement to participate in out of hours on-call arrangements.)
- royal Preston Hospital
- £47,126 - £53,219 Per Annum, Pro Rata
- 31/10/2021 23:59
This opportunity to come and join Lancashire Teaching Hospitals Engineering department comes at an exciting time when we have been selected as part of the governments New Hospital Programme so are at a very early stage on the planning side of what the future may look like. Equally it leaves us with a large (172,000 M2) acute hospital estate with many state of the art facilities alongside older estate with maintenance challenges ahead whilst the New Hospital Programme comes to fruition.
We have recently increased funding to bring in extra Engineers to work under this senior post which will hopefully allow any successful candidate to start to develop the team further and as a Trust we promote and encourage professional development which allows for those with the relevant experience to join us and continue with their career development through education and training.
Main duties of the job
This post will be the lead for the in house maintenance team that consists of Mechanical / Electrical / Plumbing trades supported via Engineering Managers (circa 50 staff), all of whom are in-house and directly employed NHS staff. The in house maintenance is supported via £1m+ of external contracts with specialist providers whilst most larger Installation and upgrade work is run separately through our Capital design team.
You will need to be able to demonstrate previous experience in planning and managing maintenance of building services in large complex buildings and will preferably have experience or knowledge of UK technical healthcare standards ( HTM, HBN).
This permanent position is contracted at 37.5 hours per week Monday to Friday; though there are on call duties to offer support to on site staff out of hours. On call payments will be in addition to advertised basic salary and this post comes with all the usual benefits of working within the NHS which includes an excellent pension (14.3% employer contribution) and holiday entitlement.
Working for our organisation
We’re not going to hide facts, we’re a large Trust that employs over 8,000 people and is located across multiple sites, including the already mentioned two main Hospitals being Royal Preston, and Chorley and South Ribble District. Both of our Hospital sites are a busy hive of activity serving over 1.5 million people in the local area. Additionally Royal Preston is the dedicated Major Trauma Centre and the workload, and dedication to the job needed, reflects this.
Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is an equal opportunities employer committed to diversity and equality whilst delivering the finest compassionate care possible.
Come and join us here at Lancashire Teaching Hospitals, a place where we are proud to work.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities listed below should be undertaken in accordance with the levels of competence as defined in the KSF outline for this post. In addition all staff are expected to act in accordance with the values and behaviours of our organisation.
- Overall Responsibility for Managing the Engineering Department – to ensure that all Engineering building services and equipment provided by LTH are complaint with statutory requirements and maintained in a safe and reliable condition.
- Identify and evaluate areas for potential service improvement.
- Develop and prepare various management reports on Engineering services, risk, performance as and when required..
- Lead audits as required.
- Participate in review of standards and performance.
- Responsible for producing and implementing departmental procedures as appropriate, contribute to Trust Policies.
- Regularly review the use of highly complex engineering systems to ensure that they continue to meet demand criteria and users expectation of the service, particularly where such services have a direct impact on clinical care or safety.
- Respond to complaints and concerns from the public concerning services or equipment maintenance providing a response which is empathetic in relation to the issues involved.
- Participate in and communicate with Trust committees including the provision of reports in relation to the Engineering department services.
- Keep accurate and complete records of all activities and ensure written communication is consistent with legislation, policies and procedures.
- Liaise with the Trust Medical Device Management Group in relation to the Engineering responsibilities for Medical Devices ( patient hoists, RO plant)
- Ensure own continual professional development is appropriately managed as per registration requirements, demands of the role, the evolving technological environment and managerial responsibilities
- Investigate and prepare reports on complaints received from patients, visitors, staff and public regarding services provided by the Engineering Department.
- Provide a source of expertise, information and training for equipment users at all levels.
- Manage the recruitment, appointment, induction, training and retention of staff, including chairing interview panels;
- Facilitate and cascade information to the team e.g. Team Brief, meetings etc. providing a regular briefing in relation to performance, service developments and change management.
- To hold monthly one to one meetings with direct reports, focusing on the achievement of actions, priorities, providing support and positive challenge.
- Delegate work to team members as appropriate in line with their individual skills, development needs and aspirations.
- Address issues and concerns that may inhibit staff from achieving both their personal and organisational goals.
- Enable and encourage others to offer suggestions, ideas and views for improving services.
- Ensure all team members have a meaningful annual appraisal and annual personal development plan to ensure delivery of personal, directorate and Trust objectives.
- Ensure that Engineering staff are appropriately trained both for their general responsibilities and to maintain dedicated or specialist devices.
- Contribute to the development of others enabling them to make realistic self-assessments and apply their knowledge and skills in practice.
- Actively promote the workplace as a learning environment encouraging everyone to learn from each other and from external good practice.
- Ensure that Workforce policies and management standards are adhered to.
- Deliver difficult and challenging conversations and management meetings, as required, to ensure management processes and standards are adhered to.
- Manage and support Trust Energy Manager (band 7)
- Ensure budgets remain on target and engineering services are managed and maintained to maximise efficiency and help reduce energy usage and carbon emissions
- Prepare reports, efficiency schemes and business cases to help drive the Sustainability agenda from an estates perspective.
- Ensure Estates colleagues and the wider Trust are kept aware of changes to both Statutory and NHS applicable guidance via verbal communications, email updates or formal reports.
- Communicate with people in a form and manner consistent with their level of understanding, culture, background and preferred ways of communicating.
- Communicate as and when required with the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA).
- Ensure compliance with HSE guidance and other Approved Codes of Practice.
- Monitor, audit and document H&S compliance.
- Ensure staff are appropriately trained and that training remains in date.
- Participate in Trust H&S meetings and report on Engineering compliance levels.
- Liaise with Safety Inspectors, Risk Managers and developing and maintaining positive working relationships with staff side H&S reps.
- Accountability for the budget and financial performance of both Engineering and Energy revenue budgets and any delegated Capital Schemes
- Assist the Assistant Director in the development and regular review of the Estates Strategy taking into account Trust service strategies and Trust wide service development plans
- Develop Trust policies relating to the Management of key services and equipment.
- Ensure close working relationships with all other leads within the Division and clinical locations to achieve a Patient focused service delivery model.
- Deputise for the Assistant Director when required.
Qualifications & Education
- Degree in Electrical, Mechanical, and/or Charter Status or equivalent within a relevant Building Services or Engineering proffessional body • Or Knowledge and experience equivalent to the above
- • Membership of appropriate Professional organisation
- • Evidence of continued professional development
- • Certificate in NHS Management
Knowledge & Experience
- • Experience of working in a similar role within an Estates or Facilities team.
- • Demonstrable experience of having managed teams, operational budgets and contracts.
- • Expert technical understanding of the range of highly specialist services and equipment found within acute hospital setting.
- • Experience of successful negotiation and contract management.
- • Knowledge of NHS procedures for the management of the estate and Health & Safety legislation.
- • Estates experience within an Acute NHS healthcare environment.
- • Experience of developing joint and collaborative working with local health and commercial partners.
- • Experience of public sector procurement and tendering procedures
The postholder will have access to vulnerable people in the course of their normal duties and as such this post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Peter Hickey
- Job title
- Peter Hickey Assistant Director Estates Operations
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01772 522200
- Additional information
For any queries or further details about the position, please contact Peter Hickey via email,
email@example.com, just let him know if you would prefer to just have a chat about this job if you are unsure on any of the details.